Sunday, February 20, 2005

Another Great Meal

Another phenomenal meal at Oakley's last night. One of the things I love about this restaurant is how consistently they deliver terrific food. If you want to try everything, go with a table of sharers. Otherwise, there's plenty to choose from to eat on your own. Last night, we tried to order dishes we hadn't tasted before and were rewarded. My favorites of the evening were the risotto cakes with crab (OK, I cheated, I'd had that before but my dining companions hadn't -- it's my favorite Tuesday night takeout dish), the honey fois gras mousse (if my jaw is ever wired shut, just feed me this nectar through a straw), and the carrot-ginger risotto with the talapia (I could eat Steve's risotto until my heart clogged or I could no longer fit through the door, whichever came first.)

As always, the service was outstanding, and once again Lisa nailed the wine pairing for our dissimilar entrees with a Sonoma-valley MacMurray Pinot Noir. (I love their wine list -- not just the old standbys you see pushed at every other place in town, but some less common great wines at reasonable prices. I love to try new wines that aren't already familiar to me from the grocery store.) Excellence, value, and consistency. In my book, it's what will keep any restaurant at the top of my list.

No comments: