Tuesday, July 26, 2005

What I Learned in this Month's Dine

I've been delinquent again. I know, I know. No excuses. But, here are a few tidbits to tide you over, from the What I Learned in this month's Dine Magazine (since I'm sure I've been blackballed from their mailing list):

Pictures of Tyler Herald (executive chef at 6) always crack me up. With the fuzzy sideburns and beard I always expect him to have a comical Scottish brogue. Even without it he is a nice guy.

Quinoa is undergoing a popularity surge. Who knew?

Beefeater has a new gin -- Wet. I love it that gin may be coming the way of designer vodka. Maybe I'll find something to replace my taste for the no longer produced Tanqueray Malaca.

The Eiteljorg's new cafe is open with some really interesting dishes using jicama, pazole, lime, cilantro and prickly pear. With outdoor seating right on the canal, this is a museum restaurant I'll try!

Greg Hardesty and Mike Silva are selling H2O Sushi but keeping it in the family. The buyers are two former sous chefs from Elements. A good fit with former H20 chef Neal Brown now heading the kitchen at Brugge. (With the uneven service and lack of air conditioning, the food is the only thing that's remained consistent since the Belgian eatery opened.

NuJac Family Gardens has Thai eggplant at their farmer's market stand. (I've never seen them and I go to the Broad Ripple Farmer's Market almost every Saturday, but I'll look more closely. I'm always happy to see the Thai basil plants and I put quite a few in this year.)

Lastly, I love that no one seems to keep track of these things. Malibu on Maryland seems to still be running ads even though they're sold and in the process of being remodeled.

No comments: