Saturday, November 04, 2006

Three Latest and Best


Lunch at McCormick and Schmick: Say what you will about this hit-or-miss downtown spot, there's no hotter place to be see and be seen lunching. I've had some famously disappointing meals there, but have discoverd the secret -- stick to the basics. The Seafood Cobb Salad, Shrimp Louis, and Crab Melt are all best bets.

Crostini at Scholar's Inn: After all these years, I *still* love the decor at Scholar's Inn. Sure, it looks like an 80s nightclub threw up in there, but I love those huge chairs and clean colors. And while the food isn't anything spectacular, they do basic salads and sandwiches pretty well. A recent lunch featured an inventive cranberry, brie, and chicken sandwich on costini and my favorite Rocket salad. (Skip the fries -- a soggy mess with bottled ketchup.)

Turkey and Apple Chutney Panini: OK, this was in my own kitchen, but I can think of nothing better to do with left over pita or flatbread than to brush it in oil, heat up the grill pan, and add anything that looks good in the refrigerator. In this case, it was turkey, apple chutney, and queso fresco. Delicious.

No comments: