Friday, March 23, 2007

French Laundry Torchon -- Day 2

After all the excitement of yesterday, Day 2 was a bit anti-climatic. Also, fairly easy. My little foie has been sitting in the refrigerator in a luxurious milk bath for 24 hours. Yesterday, I took out the foie -- both lobes and the small pieces -- put it on a plate and covered it with a clean, damp towel. It was too cold to work with, so I let it sit for a few minutes to come up to room temperature.


In the meantime, I mixed together a small amount of Kosher salt, pink salt, ground white pepper, and sugar. I lined a pan with plastic wrap, then parchment paper, and when the foie was a bit more pliable, I pressed it into the pan until it was flat and about 1 inch thick. I sprinkled half the salt mixture on one side, then flipped it over and sprinkled the rest on the other side. Then I folded up the parchment paper, then wrapped it tight in plastic wrap. Then I got worried, unwrapped it, and took it out of the parchment paper. (I worry that the paper will soak up needed moisture and throw something off.) It's all sitting comfortably in the fridge right now. Tomorrow comes the rolling and the poaching. Voila!

No comments: