Friday, August 31, 2007

What I Learned in Indinapolis Dine

I always learn lots in Dine mag, but flipping through the newest issue, I found a few noteworthy tidbits worth sharing:

Zen Green Tea Liquor: I'm so glad this incredibly unique liquor has finally made it to town. We first had it at Proof on Main (or something like it) in their cocktail where it paired with chambourd for a tasty "iced tea" cocktail. It's the essence of green tea especially lovely over ice and mixed with any number of other fruit mixers. Delish! (Find it at Kahn's)


Indiana's Popcorn! I had no idea there were 13 different kinds of popcorn, let alone 13 grown in Indiana alone. This handy primer makes me want to clip it and hang it in the kitchen for reference. Or more likely, just make popcorn!

What's In Your Market Box? Everyone's talking about Farm Fresh Delivery! Common in other cities, Indianapolis finally has a market box service based on the community farming concept. Here's how it works -- you join for free, then use their online ordering to create a standing order for organic and local farm fresh fruit and veg. Prices can range from $25-50 an order. (You can also add in meat, dairy, and other items.) You're fresh produce arrives in bin which they reuse each time. There are various other community farm programs popping up around the area. (Some work from a slightly different model requiring a one time buy-in fee that gets you a weekly box of fresh veg all summer long!) It's great to see more options for eating local.

Yat's! Joe gives up the recipe for the chili-cheese etouffee, but be warned, it's complicated! It might be easier -- and cheaper -- to just head down to Yat's for a pre-made version of this crawfish laden treat. Who knew it was his ode to Wisconsin?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Just saw a copy at the store with Cuban food featured on the cover. We have a Cuban restaurant in town? Or are they talking about something else? I thought Tata's Cafe was going to be the first Cuban restaurant in town, and didn't think it was open yet. Guess I'll have to buy a copy of Dine and find out.

Anonymous said...

I think it's the last issue with the Cuban food on the front and the article is Cuban recipes. The chef who wrote the article is the chef at the Columbia Club.

Anonymous said...

Well, Yat's actually does a very nice version of the Cuban classic Ropa Vieja (though it's like pulling teeth to find out when it will show up on the menu). But for me, Yat's is all about the Gumbo. I tried gumbo all over New Orleans last month and didn't find any I thought was better.

John Ferringer said...

Forgive me for the confusion, but how did Joe give up the etouffee recipe? I don't see it on his website...

I'm just curious and would love to see the process behind one of my favorite Yat's dishes (who am I kidding, they're all my favorites!).

Anonymous said...

Joe gives up the etouffee recipe in the latest issue of Indianapolis Dine. It just came out. page 50.

Anonymous said...

You can be all British you want to, Madge, but the word is spelled primer.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I'm not British! I just can't spell! Fooled you :-)

cheerbearmtu said...

"Joe gives up the etouffee recipe in the latest issue of Indianapolis Dine"

I have dying for chili cheese etouffee since I moved from Indy two years ago. Can someone e-mail me the recipe or can I buy a copy of the magazine?

Christopher said...

way to come along over a year later than the original post, but.. i was wondering if anyone had the chili cheese recipe stashed in an easy place to get to and send my way.

it's probably a long shot, but i'd be much obliged. i'd be willing to paint a fence or something at least. :)

Unknown said...

if anyone can share this recipe with me I would greatly appreciate it. My husband had the original from the magazine and when we moved I lost the recipe. Please help keep me out of the doghouse :)