Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Roasted Garbanzos

Have been cleaning out the freezer and ran across a bag of those green garbanzos from Trader Joe's. Love them but OD'd on them weeks ago. These were looking pretty haggard. Enter Bittman's How to Cook Everything and a recipe for roasted garbanzos. Just spread cooked beans in a roasting pan in a single layer. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil, and some salt and pepper. Roast at 400 for 30 minutes or so. They'll be crispy on the outside. Perfect for dinner or snacking. Add curry or other spices to finish. (I used ras al hanout.) Bonus, roasting gets rid of the stale freezer burn taste. I should clean out the freezer more often. Last week, I turned a package of stale frozen lavosh into crispy flatbread crackers. (Each sheet at 10 minutes in the oven.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also like to smoke my garbanzo beans and make a nice hummus or chickpea salad.