Sunday, May 04, 2008

How Sweet are Your Sweetbreads?

It's been a sweetbread fest around here lately! I've been eating, working, and prepping for a dinner party -- so posting has been light, but that doesn't diminsh my love of sweetbreads. (Both L'explorateur and Elements have the tasty veal parts dish on the menu right now.) In the meantime, I'm making my own!


Inspired by French Laundry at Home and the fact that Chris at The Goose has them most days in stock, I thought I'd try my hand. Monday nights's dinner? Roasted Sweetbreads with Bacon in a Black Truffle Sauce. (There are a few other things on the menu, of course, including foie gras, halibut, scallops, and a cheese course. I've had the stink of foie gras fat on me for two days now.) I'm skipping the endive, and no way am I sewing the bacon lardons into the actual sweetbreads, but I still think it will taste pretty damn fine.

I'll be using veal stock I made myself on Friday (oh, lovely roasted bones), and after using that veal stock to poach foie gras au torchon, I bagged the lovely fatty goodness and put it in the freezer to use in all manner of lovely soups and risottos. (I call it "foie stock".) In fact, I might make some for supper tonight.

No comments: