Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Three Latest and Best

Cheesecake at Capital Grille: Fluffy, light, and encased in a creme brulee-like crust with tons of fresh raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. What more could you possibly want?


A Feast at Greek Islands: Saturday night, I had dinner with friends who are off to Greece at the end of the month. Even though this hidden gem wasn't busy, we feasted on flaming cheese, hummus, and the delicious roasted red peppers stuffed with feta, salmon with a rich dill sauce, lemony orzo soup, and a sampler platter with enough food to feed a small African country to top it off. We even mined the all-Greek wine list for some keepers including a rich Syrah. (Don't ask me where it's from -- the label was all Greek to me.)

Lamb from the Goose: As the weather's turned truly warm (and I've turned on the air-conditioning) I've had a real craving for braised meat. Chris at The Goose always has the answer to my meat problems and last week, it was shoulder from fresh Viking lamb. (He butchered it on the spot.) I came home and turned it into a tagine with saffron, cinnamon, onion, garlic, raisins and honey over cous cous with pistachios and dried apricot. Mmm. Braised meat.

4 comments:

Donald said...

I have to agree with you about the cheesecake at CG. Had it Saturday night for the first time and I loved it. Many places make cheesecake so rich it almost makes me gag, but their version was fluffy and light just like you said and the berries were very fresh and ripe.

That along with the Kona sirloin was almost good enough to make me forget the valet wrecked my car.

braingirl said...

D'oh! Sounds like that $30 Devour Downtown menu wasn't such a bargain!

Donald said...

Yeah, fortunately the valet captain and the folks from the Conrad and Capital Grille were all over it. The repair process is well underway and they hooked us up with some freebies for futures visits.

braingirl said...

Good for them for stepping up the service and turning what could have been a disater into a positive. Sometimes, an experience like that will make me even more dedicated to a restaurant if they go out of their way to make it right.