Friday, September 26, 2008

The Best of the Year: Tomato Confit

My dad and his wife, Kay, arrived with the last of the tomatoes from their garden in western Oklahoma. What a treat -- they saved them for me! After three days in a hot car, they were ripe. We had a few for dinner on Tuesday (with fresh basil and 15-hour reduced balsamic, of course). But what to do with the rest? Tomato confit, of course!

I used the Michael Ruhlman's recipe (here with my notes) from Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing. Fresh garlic, ginger, good olive oil, shallots, and dark, red, ripe tomatoes. Finished with parsley, basil, and chives fresh from the garden. As a base for sauce, with cheese, or simply on bread or pasta. Summer in a jar. It will keep me well through our Indiana winter.

No comments: