Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Moroccan -- recipes and books

I recently had a Moroccan dinner party and several people have asked for recipes and information. Here's the scoop:

Books:
Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco, Paul Wolfert (for research) (reprint 2001 Quill) Modern Moroccan: Ancient Traditions Contemporary Cooking, Ghillie Basan (2002, 2004 AquaMarine) (both available at www.amazon.com)

Special needs:
*Le Creuset Tagine -- Sur La Table but I found my online
*Preserved Lemons -- I made my own but made the kind that take 30 days to finish. Packed them in rubber gasket and metal bale jars from Cost Plus. I found finished lemons at Sur La Table
*Harissa (the spicy Moroccan chili paste) -- Sur La Table
*Ras Al Hanout, Moroccan spice blend -- Blessac, though www.amazon.com

And funnily enough, there's an article in March Food & Wine chock full of Moroccan recipes -- some almost identical to what I used. If anyone's interested in recipes, menus or wine pairing, let me know and I'll share them with you. Most everything I made came from Modern Moroccan -- recommended by my WeLL friend Eric Gower, author The Breakaway Japanese Kitchen. We had fun pairing this one -- very challenging.

No comments: