Monday, January 09, 2006

Three Latest and Best

Lunch at R Bistro: Two words, my friends, toffee pudding. And not some panna cotta like pudding either, but the real English deal, a wedge of very thick, moist, rich cake covered in a toffee, caramel sauce. Wow. Simply wow. Did I mention they're open for lunch?

Tom ka Gai at Thai One On: I could never forsake my beloved Sawasdee, but I have to give props to Thai One On in Broad Ripple. Their food has vastly improved since they opened, and I love their version of this traditional coconut lemongrass soup with mushrooms, lime, shrimp, and all sorts of vegetable goodness. It's a great winter meal in a bowl.

Tacos at El Maguey: Last year, a friend introduced me to a number of hidden taquerias on the West side (only hidden to us English-speaking gringos, that is.) Last week, I stopped in for my favorite lunch of chicken and pork tacos, Mexican guacamole (barely mixed with onions and lime) and a cold Tecate with lime. I'm getting really good at saying "uno mas, por favor."

No comments: