Friday, August 25, 2006

What's in Your Saraga Basket?


Today, in my cart from Saraga International Grocery:

-- 1 package Balady Middle Eastern flatbread. They also have the handkerchief bread but I didn't get any.
-- 1 package long grain rice (for Mexican food) as opposed to the 100 other kinds of rice they have there including red and black rice.
-- Miscellaneous produce: two tomatoes, two onions, 1 bunch of celery
-- 1 bag dried mango slices (my favorite snack)
-- 4 bottles Senorial sangria (non-alcoholic sangria flavored soft drink recently discovered on the taco tour!)
-- 1 can green pigeon peas; 1 can noted as "dry" pigeon peas, both for a dish I'm making this weekend
--Goya guava and tamarind concentrate juice in the frozen food can. I see a rum punch in my future.
-- 1 package of thinly sliced pork belly. Oh, this has so much potential. Their meat market was bustling and one fellow customer I chatted up said he swears by their meat but you have to tell them how to cut it, he says.
-- 1 box frozen tamales. I know, I know. Don't ask.

What's in your Saraga Basket?

No comments: