Monday, November 19, 2007

Tidbits

Quiz Answer: Salsify does not mean "to make something into a salsa" although you might be tempted to think so when you see it on a menu. It's actually the root of a green called goatsbeard. I'd liken it most to, mmm, very fresh and mild horseradish (although I'm sure there are better comparisons.) It's a unique addition to heavier dishes and a favorite among local chefs like Greg Hardesty and Neal Brown. 65% of you got it right!

Vats o' Ice Cream: I may be late to the party on this one, but at Trader Joe's over the weekend, I noticed they have Ben and Jerry's ice cream in *quart* containers (not the regular pint sized cartons we're used to.) Look for these large size buckets in Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Cherry Garcia flavors.

Memo to Marsh: Dear Marsh, your store at 116th and Keystone is truly abyssmal for those of us who need any sort of speciality items. It's the largest store I've ever seen filled to the brim with processed, packaged, shortcut products for suburban families, but you're always out of something fairly simple. This time? Silk soy coffee creamer which I have in coffee every morning. Every other Marsh and O'Malia's stocks it but your dairy manager questioned its very existence as a product. Sad, when you have an entire dairy case of that nasty, fake, chemically CoffeeMate flavored creamer along with the International coffee flavored nasties. (Ironically, White Wave, maker of Silk soy milk, is owned by the same conglomerate that makes those nasty flavored international coffee creamers.) On the other hand, no matter how annoyed I am at your store, I always leave smiling and happy when I get my favorite bagger who loves to ask questions. Thank you for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to think that it is all of the groceries in Carmel, especially the Meijer on 31 and the Kroger on Range Line.

They all seem to be poorly stocked and poorly staffed. It almost makes me want to drive the 20 minutes to the Fishers Kroger where, if the selection wasn't different, at least the employees were friendly.