Friday, January 16, 2009

Buttermilk Cornbread -- Yes You Can!

Is it just me or is it freezing outside?! No. Really. It's cold. Like too cold to go to the grocery store for the sour cream I forgot. However, with a spare minute to catch up on blog posts, I give you Buttermilk Cornbread!

This is not only for those of you who I know appreciate it (and like the biscuits, actually make and email me!) but for those who emailed me about how horrible biscuits are for you -- especially with lard. Shame on me for posting? Nah, shame on you for not just eating one, just one, slathered in butter and jam...Lard be damned. Moderation is the key.

The cornbread is lard free but not buttermilk free -- buttermilk really makes it sing as I found out recently when I made a batch with the regular milk/vinegar substitution. They were not the luscious, buttery goodness they usually feature. (Sorry Erin.) Cornbread purists from north and south will also take note of the sugar content. This was southern for my family -- but most will say this is the Yankee version. True southerners like a little more sugar in theirs. I ate my most recent batch with Chef Cindy Hawkins' green tomato marmalade. Fantastic -- a little squeeze of lemon and this jam sings. So, here it is -- just in time for the coldest winter this decade:

Buttermilk Cornbread

1 cup flour
3/4 cup white or yellow corn meal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
2 tbsp sugar
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1 stick butter

First, melt the stick of butter in a pan. Then in a bowl mix the egg and sugar. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk. Pour the melted stick of butter in a pan, then pour in batter and bake until brown. (My mother's note says: Preheat over 10 minutes to 425, then reduce to 375. Bake about 30 minutes.) I like it golden brown on top. The sides will pull away from the pan, and the crust will be the best buttery goodness ever.

Great with beef stew, beans, ham, chili or winter dish of your choice.

No comments: