Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cassoulet and Other Cold Weather Treats

I made duck confit a couple of weeks ago (mmmm, duck fat!) and now the beans are soaking for cassoulet. I'm making Tony Bourdain's recipe from the Les Halles Cookbook which involves pork belly, more duck fat, sausages, and lining the Dutch oven with pork rind. Oh, yeah. Of course, it occurred to me that I'd only make this for a large group of friends and in the dead of winter. (I mean, what the heck else is there to do but make a 3-day dish?)

So, what's your favorite cold weather treat? As you're hibernating in this below-zero nuttiness, what are you craving for cooking on this long winter nights?

2 comments:

Mike the Waiter said...

ahhhm cassoulet... what a great dish... and you know what? It reheats very nicely. It's one of those things like spaghetti sauce that is even better the next day.
peace,
mTw

Charles said...

I love ham and beans with some wonderful cornbread.

Or perhaps a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato fennel soup.