Sunday, March 06, 2005

Boozy Cherries

The recipe has made the rounds but I've finally been inspired to make my first batch of boozy cherries. It is the first of what I hope will be many.

I used one ½ liter glass jar with a gasket and metal bale. (You can find these in all sizes at Cost Plus World Market.)

Fill jar ¾ of the way full with dried, tart cherries. (I find mine at Trader Joe's.) It's important that you use tart cherries. The sugar released from Bing cherries is too overpowering.

Fill the jar (just to covering the cherries) with brandy (or triple sec, or vodka, for that matter). Don't use the cheapest. Use, say, the third cheapest. Close jar. Let sit for at least a few days. Enjoy.

I've been told you should consume them in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, the brandy turns to a thick syrup, which, you know, isn't all bad. Try over ice cream, in sauces, with pork, chicken, with cheese, etc.

No comments: