Monday, May 22, 2006

Back In the Office -- No Coffee

(Set the mood by humming the tune "Desparado") It's 8:00 a.m. and I'm just back from O'Malia's. In case you've wondered, people grocery shopping at 8:00 a.m. usually look pretty pathetic, but what can I say? I was desperate. I needed cream for coffee.

Working at home means I have direct control over my morning coffee. No fighting for parking at Starbuck's. No risks of running late, missing cups, stale beans, unknown people making my standard brew, or any number of other things that can go wrong when you rely on someone else for your morning hit of legally addictive stimulant. Plus I like the ritual -- the grinding of the beans, the filtering of the water, the hitting of the button on the coffee machine. When it makes that satisfying "click", you know that it's just a matter of time until you're enjoying a freshly brewed pot of ambrosia. For me, it means I'll shortly be energetic and thinking clearly.

But lately, I've been struggling. I've been traveling and before I left last week, I forgot one of the cardinal rules of business travel: Thou shalt not run out of anything before you leave. If you do, you will forget. And this morning, when I desparately needed a cup of coffee just to function, I got up, and I found I was out of cream (or more specifically Silk Soy Creamer). I'm also almost out of coffee beans. I think I'm going to have to just be much more disciplined in the future about making sure I have backup batches of beans, filters, creamer, sweetner, and other important coffee components. I just can't face the grocery store that early again.

Update: I clear wrote this before my first cup of coffee. Due to the high number of typos and crazy sentences, I've re-edited for clarity.

No comments: