Sunday, September 17, 2006

What I Learned in Dine Magazine

I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet, but I swiped a copy from a restaurant last evening. Aside from their round-up of Mexican recipes -- and more interestingly a plethora of nut and pesto recipes, there were -- as usual -- a few interesting tidbits.

It's That Time of Year: Oliver Winery is advertising their new Beanblossom Hard Apple Cider packaged in a wine bottle. The ad says it's only available at the winery. Not sure it's worth a trip on its own, but it might be worth a stop next time I head south.

I Think I'm in Love (Again): Ever since I put myself on a dish buying moratorium last year due to a lack of storage, I've been seeing dishes I'm sure I can't live without. I may need a dish room (maybe a combined dish/shoe room) to add the featured French Un Verre D'Amitie water glasses in this month's issue to my collection.

Dukkah! Earlier this year, a friend had us over the cocktails before an event. The talk of the table? Dukkah -- a middle eastern blend of crushed peanuts and spices. Bread is dipped in olive oil, then the dry powder for a mellow spiced treat. This particular dukkah is made locally and available at Broad Ripple's Cork and Cracker.

Betcha Didn't Know: The name for Cafe' Patachou came from former Marion County Prosecutor and Mayor Steven Goldsmith. He once called Patachou owner Martha Hoover, then a deputy prosecuting attorney, a "creme puff". The name stuck.

No comments: