Friday, March 28, 2008

A Cookbook a Week: Wolfert's Couscous

How's everyone coming along with the "cookbook a week" challenge? For those just tuning in to our program, the idea is that you start at one end of your cookbook bookshelf, then cook a dish from each cookbook in order about one per week. I've really been trying not to jump around, following the meme and working from one cookbook to the next. I'm still in Moroccan territory, so next up is Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco by Paula Wolfert. Wolfert's books are considered the definitive reference for Moroccan cooking but are, to my eye, starting to show their age. She compiled her work in the 1970s and takes many opportunities to lament the state of cooks and cooking in the US. However, the book is a great reference and she explains many of the special spices and techniques needed for success. I'm all tagined out but need a new batch of preserved lemons. I always use her recipe which includes cinnamon and coriander in the brine.

The timing couldn't be better. Thirty days from now, I'll be in olive-lemon chicken heaven.

No comments: