Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cous Cous with Preserved Lemon

Ahh, while the rest of you were recovering from your Zoobooliation hangovers, I spent the day trekking around Northern Indiana and enjoying this beautiful weather! When I got home, it was time for my latest default LBH (lazy, but hungy) dinner -- cous cous. Sure, I cheat and use the Trader Joe's kind, but it's still so easy -- literally as easy as boiling water -- and takes less than 5 minutes. Plus, I can add dried fruits and nuts to make it a little more healthy and balanced. Try chopped dried apricots and pistachios or raisins and cashews. Last night, out of dried fruit altogether, I broke out my lastest batch of preserved lemon. Scoop out the pulpy insides, then chop half the preserved rind finely and add to the cous cous along with a handful of sliced almonds. (I even sprinkled a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar on to cut the sourness and bring up the wonderful lemon essence.) A perfect late night dinner. And lots of lemon left -- next up chicken with preserved lemons and green olives.

No comments: