Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Knife Sharpening

Here's one that I know many of us discuss these days -- where to get knives sharpened? I hear there's a guy in City Market. Others take them to their favorite chefs. Some still wing it at home with a whetstone and a prayer. Here's a question from our reader who's name I won't reveal in case it gives away the Christmas surprise! Lucky niece!

"I don't live in Indianapolis, but my sister does and my niece is a budding chef. I'mbuying her a nice chef's knife, steel and a book on knife skills for Christmas. I waswondering where reputable knife sharpeners might be in Indianapolis (south side, if possible, but not necessary) so I can instruct my sister on where to take my niece's knives for professional sharpening?"

7 comments:

John said...

Also wondering....

Crossed said...

I am jealous of Skokie, IL, their farmers market has a guy that sets up his own wheel and sharpens there all summer. Alas not here, but have been wondering where ever since.

Sarah said...

When I worked as a receptionist in a salon, there was a guy who came around to sharpen stylists' scissors. He worked out of his van. Wonder if he'd make house calls?

The Carrels said...

Mobile Sharp Shop? I think that's the name...

nolandda said...

No help here. The only thing I could find is this yellow pages category.

Anonymous said...

Mobile Sharp is who all of local restaurants use. For the home cook, you can call Frasiers Gourmet to get a schedule of when mobile sharp comes to their shop. You drop your knives off and they are ready for pickup the next day.

Fraisiers Gourmet: 317.849.5409

Kaco said...

Mobile Sharp Shop also comes to some local JoAnn's fabric stores.